I wanted a hat that lit up around the brim like one of those movie marquee lighting things. It took ages and ages, but I finally managed it! I also attached a pushbutton, so that when you push it, the led rotates faster. Yes the picture does look like multiple LEDs come on at once, but that's just because I am a lousy photographer. In reality, there is just one LED that rotates around the hat. I would like to acknowledge my dad for helping me with the circuit design.
Step 1: Things You Will Need.....
- 25 LEDs, I used MCDL-1860UWC-15C from Jameco Electronics but I think that most types of LEDs would work. I used 20 white LEDs and 5 blue LEDs.
- Some sort of hat, I used an old costume top hat but its really up to you. One thing to keep in mind though, is that the hat should be fairly stiff to be able to support the circuit board.
- Perf board, regular and protoboard
- 22 gauge stranded and unstranded wire
- Various soldering tools
- Black thread
- Header and pins for connecting the wires
- Three CD4017 Integrated Circuits
- One 555 timer
- 6.8k, 1k, and 4.7k resistors
- Two 0.1uF ceramic capacitors
- 0.33uF and 10uF electrolytic capacitors
- One 74HCO8N Integrated Circuit
- 9 volt battery
- A SPST switch