Some years ago, a local organisation was asking us to come out an idea in making a paper flying butterfly based on the commercial available one. It should be easy for children to make and low cost.
They have tried and tested several model using paper clips and rubberband ..but the metal body is just to heavy to make it "FLY".
So we set to do some research and test, and found that by using a simple balloon stick (cut to small size) , a bead and a wire. With a cutout which you can download free from our website here :http://web.singnet.com.sg/~csqf2828/instruction.htm . We came out with the Rubber Band Flying Paper Butterfly.
With these simple and low cost materials , we make about 5000 pcs of parts to supply just in time for the children project carnival.
Or you can buy the ready one from Amazon Store .
Watch the video here :
Visit my website for other projects : www.kiddyhub.com
Step 1: What you will need ?
- Paper Wing Cut-out
Download free here : http://web.singnet.com.sg/~csqf2828/instruction.htm
Or here : http://www.kiddyhub.com
- Metal Wire (11 ~12cm)
- Hollow plastic tube (cut out from balloon stick , size : 4 ~5cm)
- Rubber band
- Plastic Bead
Step 2: Bend the metal wire into a “V” shape
- Bend the metal wire into a V shape as shown in the diagram.
Step 3: Hook the rubber band onto the metal wire.
- The rubber band should be cut and tie a knot at the end. Like the picture shown.
- The lenght of the rubber band after the knot been made should be about half the length of the balloon stick.
- Hook the rubber band onto the metal wire.
Step 4: Insert the metal wire with the rubber band into the plastic hollow tube.
- Insert the metal wire together with the rubber band into the plastic hollow tube.
- Pull the metal wire and ensure the rubber band is stretch with the knot sitting securely at
the other end of the hollow tube. If the knot is not big enough you can make the size bigger making another knot.