Step 1: What You'll Need
- Utility Knife (Be Careful!)
- Cardboard Box Approx. 3ft Square
- More cardboard (3/4" thick may be rare, but it gives the best results. You can also use thinned cardboard for the tiles and then stack them up to make them thick [more work])
- Contact paper (White, Yellow, Green Blue, Red, Orange [do the nerds who will see you a favor and DO NOT substitute different colors])
Step 2: Find a Box
2. cut holes for your arms and head.
Now it's a party!
Step 3: Find Another Box
you'll need to calculate the size of you tiles based on the size of the base box you start with,
Plan to leave about 1" between tiles. Also, plan to have the edge/corner tiles hang over the edge by the amount of the thickness of your tiles.
You'll need 44 tiles. 9 tiles x 5 sides (none on the bottom) - one full tile missing for the head hole.
after I cut my tiles with a knife I cut off the corners with a band saw to "round" the edges (Optional)
Step 4: Start Taping
2. Same idea for the 'Corner pieces', tape 3 tiles together, then tape that 'partial cube' to the box.
NOTE: You may want to make the hole big enough for your head, but then have the top tiles hinge down to fit around your neck so you don't have extra space all the time.
Step 5: Coloring Time
2. attach them to the tiles
if you can, model the pattern from a real cube, you'll impress the nerds (only a true nerd will ask you if it is a solvable configuration).
NOTE: The configuration I made is not solvable (Lame! I know), I ran out of the correct colors. Next time...
then cut off the excess contact paper and marvel at your work
Step 6: Win Best Costume
let your friends try it on
use it as a coffee table until next Halloween!