This is how to remove, modify, and reinstall the stock bolt release on your Ruger 10/22 so you will no longer need to use the bolt release tab on the bottom of your rifle to release the bolt.
I'm not in any way the first person to do this but I thought I would put it here to save you the time of finding and reading other peoples forum posts etc.
If you get carried away don't worry you can get a new stock part from Ruger for about $3 or an already modified part from several companies (just Google ruger 10/22 auto bolt release) for about $10.
If you have purchased this part instead of modifying your own, this will serve as installation instructions
As always before we get started with any firearms project do your safety check (both visually and physically inspect that your weapon is unloaded) and proceed at your own risk.
- Mallet (may not be necessary but good to have)
- Spacer block for removing pins, I'm using a role of blue tape. (recommended but optional)
- Pin punch (you should already have this for cleaning)
- Small Files (A sightly rounded file and full round file (you can probably use just the dremel tool, but these will help shape and smooth the areas we grind away)
- Flat head screw driver.
- Dremel Tool with a small grinding or engraving cutter (you can use just the files if need be it will just take a lot longer)
Recently re-shot this tutorial as a video if you prefer that to the slide show.