Introduction: Rum & Dates Pie = Pi
IT'S Pi DAY! And Pi = Pie
A pie is cooked in a pie dish. The dish is of circular shape which means it has a circumference and a diameter. Since Pi is defined as the circumference of a circle over its diameter with the numerical value 3.1415....
then, 3.14159.... = l¯l = c/ d = Pie
For most practical uses, Pi is assumed to be 3.142.
With this in mind, these numbers are used for the ingredients' amounts used for this Pi (pie) . Also, there are only 3 preparation steps, this is so to emphasize the three prior to the decimal point. The 1 to 9 sub-steps in each step are to represent the numbers after the decimal point and thus get Pi all the way through.
Pi = Pie
Step 1: Ingredients
3 1/3 cups of flour
1 1/4 cups of unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg jolk
4 tablespoons of cold water
unsalted butter (for buttering dish)
1 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped preserved ginger
2 tablespoons of rum
l¯l = 3.1412
Step 2: Preparing the Pi Dough
1. Preheat oven to 4000 F.
2. Sift flour into a bowl.
3. Cut 1 cup of the butter into pieces and rub it into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
4. Stir in 2 teaspoon of sugar.
5. Blend the egg yolk and the water together and pour into the flour, mixing quickly to form a firm dough.
6. Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead until smooth.
7. Split the dough in half and roll out both pieces to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
8. Line a buttered pie dish with one of the rolled out dough pieces.
9. Trim the edges of the dough.
Tip: Alternatively, frozen pie crust could be used for this recipe. This will save time and effort, specially if you're not much of a baker or don't have lots of time in your hands.
Pi= 3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 ...
Step 3: Pi Filing & Completion
1. Spread the chopped dates over the bottom of the Pi dough.
2. Arranged the preserved ginger in the Pi shape symbol in the center of the Pi.
3. Soften the remaining butter in the microwave for 15 seconds.
4. Add the sugar and rum.
5. Sread the butter mixture over the Pi filling.
6. Cover with the remaining rolled out dough.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 4000 F.
8. Reduce the heat to 3500 F and bake for 30 more minutes.
9. Dacorate Pi by cutting dates to form symbols, letters and numbers.
Tip: The ginger is not over powering but if you're not a fan of ginger try using dried pineapple.
LET'S EAT Pi ! ! ! !