Ever wanted to run Windows XP on your Android Device? Ever thought if running desktop OS on your mobile?
As many users don’t know, it is actually possible to run the Windows XP on your Android device. Even though it runs very slowly, it is an impressive feature so read this tutorial carefully to learn something new you never knew your Android is capable of.
By referring this article and using few simple techniques you can run XP on your device and this technique will surely impress your friends. For doing this project you need certain things to be done which are given below and the other thing is that if your phone is rooted then this is not going to work and if your phone lags due to low RAM, less than 512MB then you don't need to run it because it is going to make your system very slow or have SD card lower then 1.5 GB memory.
Remember, it takes about 2 hours to complete the process so be silent :D but you'll have a lot of fun after showing it to your friends!
Step 1: The Concept
The basic concept behind running windows on your Android device is emulation or virtualizationof the operating system.
- We will first make a virtual hard drive for windows XP where we will install windows.
- Then we will install windows XP and copy the hard drive image to our android device.
- Then we'll boot into windows by emulating it in BOCHS for andorid
- Finally play with Windows!
Step 2: Materials & Software
1) Windows XP SP1 CD or you can download ISO torrent.
2) Qemu Manager for your PC: http://download.cnet.com/Qemu-Manager...
3) Bochs for Android: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5LGbCzc0tu8WTAwXz...
4) Blank Image Disk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7e707nzxn4cYUt6V... [Rename this to c.img !!]
5) SDL.zip: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5LGb..
Step 3: Making the Virtual Machine
Now we'll install windows into the blank C.img [You'll have to rename the Blank_Image into c.img] file.
1) Open QEMU manager after you've installed it
2) Click on (+) button or create new VM
3) Specify everything as in images and leave it to the default.
4) Now click on Drives and then HardDisk 0 then browse the c.img file into the manager and click ok!
5) Now click on CD-ROM and insert your windows installation DVD and select Use Physical Drive
6) We're done!
In next step we'll boot and install windows
Step 4: Installing Windows in VM
Now, we'l install Windows XP in the virtual machine. This process takes about an hour so please wait :P
Now just click the green start button and launch off!
Follow the instructions to install Windows XP. It'll take about 5 minutes to load drivers and then main installation will start. This is going to be fun installing and testing old applications.
Step 5: Copying Files to Andorid
Now we'll copy the files to the Android Device.
First of all, make a folder named SDL in your SD card. then copy the files in SDL.ZIP file. Copy c.img as well. Now install BOCHS.APK in your device and then you're ready!
Do everything carefully as this step will only lead to success!
Step 6: Booting Into Windows!
Now we'll boot into windows and lets get to started!
Now click on BOCHS app icon on your launcher and boot into Windows! It'll take approximate 15 minutes to boot into windows. Now after 5 minutes, open start menu and then explore. Try outlook.
Its only for playing , not for working! No internet! No Sound! + Very Slow! :D :P
Now go, impress your friends and also tell them how to do this!
Step 7: Thanks & About Me
I'm a 16 year old embedded developer, working with MIT Media Labs India Initiative. I work in various technologies like ARM, AVR, Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
You can find about me here: http://www.sarthaksethi.net/