I designed this dress as part of a series.
I wanted this one to be a high fashion runway piece inspired
by the beauty of flames. I am so pleased with how it all came together.
I've made this "making of" so you can get an idea of how I put it together.
I hope it inspires you to make your own beautiful piece.
If you would like to see some more of my costumes you can visit my website:
or you can visit my etsy shop:
- 5 yards yellow Chiffon
- 5 yards Red Chiffon
- 5 yards orange chiffon
- 1 yard sparkly orange special occasion satin
- 1.5 yards red dupioni silk
- 1.5 yards fuze-able web
- 1.5 yards imported corset coutil.
- a mix of spiral steel boning and flatsteel boning.
- gold size 00 grommets
- a mix of various fire colored Swarovski crystals and crackle glass beads
- red and orange glass gems.
- brass metal decorations
- clear cast epoxy resin (you need about 4 oz)
- galvanized steel wire
- black floral tape
- Orange and red basket wrap cellophane
- gold and red glitter
- a wood burning iron, incense sticks, or long matches your choice
- a hot glue gun
- a heat iron or regular iron
Step 1: Getting Started
I always start by making a mock up. (Trust me this will save you
a lot of stress and wasted fabric later. It's worth the time I promise ^_~)
I use very heavy duck fabric to make them out of.
Look for something that is really stiff and can hold it's own shape.
You could use coutil, but it tends to run about $30 a yard so I
don't really find it worth it.
Once I got my fabric I started by cutting out my corset pattern.