Introduction: Rustic Crochet Apple Bag
Runner Up in the
Made with Yarn Contest 2016
September is apple-picking season in New England, and not an activity to be missed. I crocheted this mesh bag last year specifically for apples, but it can be used for anything from grocery shopping to library visits!
- US K/10 (7mm) crochet hook
- Jute Twine – 3ply twine (available at any hardware store or home improvement store)
- Yarn needle
Here are the abbreviations I used in this pattern:
- Ch – Chain
- Dc – double crochet
- Sl st – slip stitch
Step 1: Crochet the Base
- Ch 15, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook (3-ch counts as first dc), dc in each ch across, working 3 dc in last ch, turn to work up opposite side of foundation chain, dc in each ch, sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.
- Ch 3, work dc in same st as join, work 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, dc in each dc across to other end, work 2dc in each of the 3 dc at end, dc to end, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.
- Ch 3, work dc in same st as join, work 2 dc in each of next 5 dc, dc in each dc across to other end, work 2dc in each of 6 dc at end, dc to end, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.
- .Ch 3, dc in each dc around, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.
Step 2: Crochet the Mesh Sides
Ch 1, sc in same st as join, ch 5, skip 2 dc, sc in next dc, repeat from * around to beginning, end ch-5, sc in first ch-5 sp, continue to work around in a spiral in mesh pattern (ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp), until you have 12 rounds of mesh pattern. Ch 1, work 3 sc in each ch-5 space and 1 sc in each sc around, join with sl st in first sc.
Step 3: Crochet the Strap and Finish
Ch 3, dc in next 3 dc, turn, ch 1, sc in each dc, ch 3, dc in each sc, repeat these two rows until you have 63 rows total, ending with a sc row. Fasten off and stitch to bag opposite from beginning row. Weave in all ends.
So easy! You can resize this bag to meet your needs, too. Repeat the mesh round as many times as you want for a bigger bag, or take away some rounds to make it smaller. The strap is fully adjustable too - just as long as you finish with a single crochet row for even stitching. Happy crocheting!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.