You will fall for this vegetarian soup. It's full of good for you foods.
Step 1: Rustic Roasted Vegetable Soup
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, halved and or quartered lengthwise depending on the thickness of carrot. Thinner gets halved, thicker gets quartered
- One 8-ounce package mushrooms, slice each mushroom in half
- 1 small head of broccoli, pieces removed from stalk
- ½ medium onion cut into quarters
- 1 medium sweet potato, equal to about 2 cups peeled, cut into chunks
- 4-5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon Spanish olive oil
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 4-½ cups (or more) vegetable broth (equal to a 32 ounce container)
- 1-½ to 2 cups of water
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray rimmed baking sheet with canola oil spray.
- Arrange carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, onion, sweet potato, and garlic on sheet. Drizzle with Spanish olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake until vegetables are brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before next step.
- Place vegetables on a work surface and cut into bite-size pieces and set aside. Squeeze garlic cloves out of the skin and set aside.
- Transfer vegetables and garlic to soup pot and toss in spinach. Add broth, water, cumin, and oregano; stir to combine; bring to boil. This took about 13 minutes.
- Reduce heat; add beans and simmer uncovered allowing flavors to blend, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)