Introduction: SAMSUNG HE Washer Front Door Seal Replacement
My 3 year old Samsung HE washer developed a door seal leak at the bottom of the gasket basically from flexure from the door window. After a call to their service hotline and finding out the "estimate" for the repair would be near $300.00 USD, I resorted to my own plan and purchased a new seal for $60 USD on the internet and saved myself $240 with 2 hours of my time. Here is how I did it.
What you need...
Replacement Seal from internet = $60 USD
A little bit of Patience! Keep telling yourself you are saving a ton of money!
The idea for the replacement is to basically remove the top and then front panel, and then remove the old door gasket and replace the new gasket with the drum in place.
Remove all the sheet metal screws that are holding the top cover down.
Slide off the top cover and then remove the screws as shown by the screw driver in the photo.
Once the screws are out of the gray plastic trim, you can slide the soap tray housing up and out of the front door frame.
Remove the door hinge and the filter box frame down at the very bottom of the front panel.
Remove the screws from the top of the front panel as shown.
Carefully set the control panel on top of the washer being careful with the wiring.
Pull the door panel forward creating a gap to work inside. I did not find it necessary to remove the entire panel from the bottom hinge points, as it seemed too involved for that.
Remove the wire screw clamp at the top of the gasket. Set aside for reuse.
Start at the top and peel the gasket from the edges of the drum as shown, working your way around the gasket.
When you encounter the sensors, switches, and soap channel, pull the gasket from these items.
REPLACE with the new Gasket:
Apply a thin film of dish soap to the inside edges of the new gasket and start at the bottom of the drum. Slide the gasket onto the edges, working around both sides, left and right as you go up to the top.
Ensure the new wire clamp stays cradled inside the new gasket as you go.
Install the sensors into their respective holes, add in the soap channel and clamp it. Lastly tighten up the entire wire clamp with the clamp at the very top like you found it originally. Reverse the panel disassembly steps and you just saved yourself about $240 or $120/hr fees.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.