Introduction: SAUTEED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PARMESAN, PROSCIUTTO, & TOASTED ALMONDS
This recipe makes a great side dish for almost any meat or fish entree. I would ordinarily use fresh Brussels Sprouts and regular bacon, but I had the Italian Prosciutto on hand and it is delicious!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 Sides)
- 10 ounces PictSweet Steamable Baby Brussels Sprouts.
- 4 TBS unsalted butter.
- 1/2 Red Onion (any color will work)!
- 2 slices **Italian Prosciutto.
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese.
- 1/4 cup Toasted Almonds.
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice (fresh is best, but I used bottled).
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Salt Sense.
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- *NOTE: Although I used frozen Brussels Sprouts, fresh ones would be even better (see comments in step 3). I only used Prosciutto because I had it on hand and needed to use it up. You can certainly use ordinary bacon, or Canadian Bacon, or even Turkey Bacon .
Step 2: PREPARATION (BRUSSELS SPROUTS)
- Prepare an Ice Bath (a bowl of water with ice cubes); this will be used to quickly stop the cooking process once you remove the sprouts from the microwave (or stove top if using fresh ones).
- *Microwave the sprouts according to the package instructions, but for about half the time; then carefully open the package (it will be steaming hot) and dump them into the ice bath to halt the cooking process).
- Gently stir the sprouts around in the ice water for a couple of minutes; then remove them and place them in a bowl lined with paper towels so that they can drain.
*NOTES: If using fresh baby Brussels Sprouts, steam them on the stove top (or in a steamer) for about 3 minutes; then place them in an ice bath. If you use large sprouts, cut them in half after cooling them in ice water.
Step 3: PREPARATION (ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS):
- Chop or dice the Prosciutto (or bacon).
- Chop or dice the onion.
- Grate the cheese
- Measure out a teaspoon of Lemon Juice.
- Measure out the toasted almonds and the condiments.
- Have the unsalted butter cut and ready.
Step 4: SAUTEE
- Melt 2 TBS of unsalted butter in a heavy non-stick pan or a cast iron skillet (always my choice) over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and stir fry for 4 or 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened a bit and is becoming translucent.
- Add 2 more TBS of unsalted butter; raise the heat to medium-high and add the *Brussels Sprouts and the Prosciutto or bacon; also the S&P and red pepper flakes if using. Cook for a few more minutes (I like to cook mine just until they become tender crisp (and you definitely do not want to cook them until they become "mushy!").
- Remove pan from heat; stir in the lemon juice, toasted almonds and Parmesan Cheese.l
- Serve immediately.
- *NOTE: Whether you are using frozen Brussels Sprouts that have been steamed, then cooled off - or fresh sprouts that have been steamed and bathed in ice water (whole baby sprouts or large ones cut in half) it makes no difference here; this is where you add them.
Step 5: TIME TO EAT . . .
I enjoyed a side of sauteed Brussels Sprouts with a grilled pork cutlet last night, along with a chilled glass of Frontera Concha y Toro Chardonnay from Chile.
(I have estimated the nutritional values of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. Just click on the image to enlarge it).
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.