Introduction: SHRIMP CURRY IN a WOK
As far as I am concerned, this is a simple, elegant and tasty dish! I like to cook in a wok, and I have cooked many dishes in one, including Chili, an assortment of stir-fry's, and a variety of stews, as well as Oriental dishes!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (2 Servings)
- 2 TBS EVOO
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter (the real stuff)
- 12 to 16 Medium to Large Shrimp (GOOD LUCK), shelled and deveined (at least 6 to 8 shrimp per person)
- 2 or 3 Large stalks Celery, sliced fairly thin (but not too thin)
- 2 or 3 stalks Fresh Green Onions with tops, sliced thin (but not too thin)
- 1 or 2 cloves Garlic, crushed and chopped (optional)
- 1 + 1/2 TBS curry powder, (I have just discovered Badia's Jamaican Style Curry Powder; GOOD)
- 2 tsp's ground Cumin (at least 2 tsp's)
- 1/4 tsp ground Chipotle Pepper (optional; you might not need or want this; the Jamaican Curry is pretty spicy)
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay Seafood Spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (your can use the stuff that comes in a tube; it's pretty good)
- 1 tsp Coarse ground Sea Salt with Iodine (more or less, to taste)
- 2 TBS dried Golden Raisins
- Preheat Wok to Medium heat
- Add 1 TBS EVOO and saute vegetables for 3 or 4 minutes, or until beginning to soften; remove from wok.
- Add the other TBS of EVOO and saute shrimp for 2 or 3 minutes over medium heat, or just until beginning to turn pink; remove from wok and set aside along with vegetables
- Reduce heat to low; add the 2 TBS of butter.
- When melted, add the Curry Powder and Cumin. Old Bay Spice, and ground Chipotle if using, and stir until well blended.
- Add the 2 cups of Chicken broth; bring the liquid to a boil, and add the sauteed vegetables and Golden Raisins. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until vegetables are just barely tender.
- Raise heat to medium high and bring liquid to a light boil again; add sauteed shrimp and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through (DO NOT OVERCOOK)!
- Reduce heat to medium low, Taste; add S&P or any other spices, as needed and remove Wok from heat.
Step 3: TIME TO EAT!!!
Sever the Curried Shrimp over rice (I am serving it over it over Lundberg;s blend of Wild & Whole Grain Rice. A glass of Pinot Grigio will complement this dish (although I really wanted a glass (or two) of Saki. Unfortunately the store I was shopping in a bit earlier was our of Saki).
Step 4: NUTRITION
Total Recipe has an estimated 742 calories and 23 carbs.
Per Serving, 371 calories & 12 carbs
Add Rice: 1/4 cup cooked rice adds about 160 calories and 34 carbs
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.