I heavily commute by bicycle, and have for many, many years. Any rattle, squeak, or grind that rears its head is quickly dealt with. V BRAKES have an area that is notorious for rattling when riding rough terrain. I have learned over much of my traveling time that a SILENT bike is a true NINJA STYLE bike.
This will SILENCE those rattling V's.
Step 1: Supplies needed...
What you will need,
- Heat shrink tubing (bought mine at the local home improvement store; 1/4 in. - 1/8 in).
- Correctly sized Allen key, Allen wrench, Hex key, what-have-you.
Step 2: Loosen nut...
Loosen the cable nut and free the cable. Then slide the rubber protector off (looks like a cylindrical accordion).
NOTE: Some V-brakes will not have the rubber protector, not a big deal.
Step 3: Slide the heat shrink wrap...
- slide the new heat shrink onto the cable
- work it to the front edge of the raised lip of the noodle (the chrome "L" shaped piece).
- NOW, use the lighter to shrink the tubing.