Introduction: Sacred Geometry Influenced 3D Printed Pots
My interest in exploring the interaction between organic and inorganic shapes and space motivated me to design containers to hold airplants and succulents. These 3D prints are the result of the unadulterated prints and some transformations. CAD file support provided by my friend Aaron Porterfield.
Step 1: Design 3D “plant Pots”
I designed small “egg shaped buckets” in the center of a 6-sided star influenced design with various blade forms extending at the points of the star. The progression in increasing size of the blades from bottom to top is influenced by the Golden Ratio (~1.6) when possible. ...and I printed a small scaled Great Pyramid for good measure; the file I found on the web had the facing brick lines and a smooth top section, versus the current de-faced state of the Great Pyramid.
Step 2: Initial 3D Prints
I printed the initial run of pointy shapes at a small size of 3” wide and 3” tall on the Stratasys 500 set on fast print mode (60 micron resolution) using Vero Clear compound. The points were a bit challenging to clean, but the high-pressure water pick made it fairly painless. I did manage to cut myself on the finger from one of the blades without cutting the rubber gloves - still haven't figured that one out... Attached are the STL files - enjoy :)
Step 3: Large 3D Print - Picked the Favorite
Upon selecting our favorite (Noah and I), I transformed it by exaggerating the height and keeping the width and depth the same. I printed these at a larger size of 6” deep and wide and 8” tall on the Stratasys 500 set on detail print mode (30 micron resolution) using Vero Clear compound. The images show the print on the printer bed (took 20 hours), removed to the cleaning table, in the high-pressure water, and fully cleaned gleaming in the sunlight.
Step 4: Elongated 3D Prints
I transformed the shapes by elongating the width and maintaining the depth and height. This was primarily to better fit a few of the plants.
Step 5: Rubbery 3D Prints
I printed two designs in a soft rubbery compound at a small size that is 2-3” wide and 1.5” tall on the Stratasys 500 set on fast print mode (60 micron resolution) using Tango Black compound.
Step 6: Play Time! I Turned on the Lights...
these prints look pretty cool when illuminated... I turned on a pair of 1 Watt RGB LEDs that are wired to an Arduino powered LumiGeek 1xCC shield (more information under a separate Instructable post).
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.