Introduction: Salt Water Purifier
In this Instructable I will show you how to build a salt water purifier. When using this it will produce about a third of a cup of drinkable water an hour.
Step 1: Materials
- Metal can
- Empty soda can
- Aluminum foil
- 2-3 ft of tubing
- Rubber band
- Towel / paper towel
- Hot glue gun
Step 2: Now We Will Make the Canister for the Salt Water
- Remove the label from the coffee can
- Next cut a piece of aluminum foil about 12" x 12"
- Now cut it in to four squares
- Now remove the lid of the Coffee can
- Now take 3 of the sheets and place them on top of the metal can
- Now fold the sheets down over the edge like in picture 4
- Now put the Rubber band around the tin foil
- Next place the fourth sheet of aluminum foil over top of the rubber band
Step 3: Attaching the Tubing
- The first thing you need to do is take the tip of the scissors and place it near the edge of the can
- After you place the scissors near the edge of the can you need to spin it until there is a hole about the size of the tubing
- Next insert the tubing into the hole about 1/3 of an inch down
- Now thoroughly apply hot glue around the tubing
Step 4: Now We Will Make the Collector
- First cut a piece of tin foil a little bit bigger than the top of the can
- Now place the aluminum foil on top and fold the sides down
- Now make a hole by twisting the scissors over where the hole in the can is
- You are now done In the next step I will show you how to use it
Step 5: Using the Purifier
- First you need to pour salt water into the metal can until it is about halfway full
- Now you need to take the tube and put it into the hole in the soda can
- Next you need to make a small fire you could also use a back pack stove
- Now you need set the can on the fire being care full the flames do not come two high
- Now you need to wet the paper towel or towel with cool water
- Now place the paper towel/towel over the tube check this often and make sure it is cool and damp
- Your purifier should now start to produce water in about 5 to 10 minutes
This purifier works because when you boil water it creates steam. The steam rises to the top of the can then goes through the tubing. Because of the paper towel the steam cools and turns back into water. Which then collects in the can free from impurities.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.