Introduction: How to Make Samkak Kimbab
Samkak Kimbab, also known as Onigiri, or Omusubi, is a Japanese food made from white rice formed into triangular shapes and wrapped in seaweed. It was invented by a Japanese company. I think whoever thought of this was pretty clever!
Samgak Kimbab makes rice portable and easy to eat and also preserves it since it is wrapped in plastic paper while it is made. Also, since the seaweed is totally wrapped in the plastic paper, the seaweed will still be crispy, keeping it from soaking water which can ruin the taste of seaweeds.
This instruction provides simple steps with explanations, and several tips. Samkak Kimbab is easy to make with a little cooking time, about 10-15 minutes for 3-4 samgak kimbab.
Step 1: Get Your Items Prepared
Go to your local asian grocery store and get the following items
•Samkak Kimbab Frame
•Packed Seaweed for Samkak Kimbab
•2-3 cups of rice(medium grain, short grain, or sticky rice) for 4-5 Samkak Kimbab
TIP: For the best product, try to cook the rice sticky. If you have a rice cooker, try to put a little more water than usual.
TIP: Adding some vinegar into your rice will make it stickier.
•Canned Tuna, or anything that you want to put in Samkak Kimbab
TIP: Since rice is bland, get something salty, spicey, or seasoned meat, or vegetables upon your taste.
Prepare items that you may have already
TIP: Rice cookers for sticky rice is usually expensive, but you can buy pre-cooked microwavable rice at Walmart, or asian grocery store
•Plastic gloves for cooking
Step 2: Prepare Your Ingredients
Warning: WASH your hands with soap before handling your food. Not washing your hands may cause food poisoning.
•Cook the Rice
1) Cook your sticky rice by following the instructions of your rice cooker or pre-cooked microwavable rice.
2) Season your rice with 1 table spoon of sesame oil
3)add some sesame and salt upon your taste.
4) Mix them well.
•Prepare Your Filling
1) Open a can of tuna and squeeze out the water as much as possible.
2) In a heated pan, add tuna, 1 table spoon of sesame oil, 1 table spoon of sesame seeds.
Caution: Making your filling too watery could ruin your final product.
TIP: Remember! You can always choose anything that you want to put in your Samkak Kimbab, so put anything in you want.
Step 3: Shape the Rice
1) Put your seasoned rice into 1/3 of the frame.
2) Put your tuna as much as you want, but not more than 1/3 of the frame.
3) Fill the rest of the mold with rice.
4) Close your mold, press it, and open it
TIP: The surface of the frame is made to be slippery so that the rice doesn't get sticked.
Step 4: Wrap It Up
1) Take out a piece of seaweed from the package. DO NOT REMOVE the plastic wrap!
2) Look for the numbers on the sheet. The numbers side of the sheet goes down, and let #1 face towards left side (Look at the picture carefully).
3) Place your mold on the seaweed, and open side facing down. The tip of the triangle should be placed on the #1.
TIP: Place the triangle-shaped rice about 1/4 inch from the end for the best shape
4) Remove the mold.
5) Fold the sheet over the rice, then gently tuck in the top corners of the seaweed beneath the rice.
Caution: Do not press it too hard. Pressing hard may deform the shape.
6) Fold the corners of the bottom seaweed.
7) Place the sticker to secure the wrapper.
Step 5: Unwrap It, Eat It
When you are finished, the final product should look like the pictures above.
Here it is! your own Samkak Kimbab is ready to eat! Wherever you carry it, since it was wrapped in plastic paper, the seaweed will be crispy as it was, and it will be fresh just like you just made.
Yet, it is still wrapped in plastic sheets. The plastic sheets are made to be removed very easily, only with a few steps. Now, unwrapping the product is another fun part to do.
1) Pull the strip number 1 all around the Samkak Kimbab, and remove it.
2) Hold the left side gently, and pull the right side.
3) Hold the right side gently, and pull the left side.
4) Grab a bite. Crispy, isn't it?
TIP: Samkak Kimbab can be refrigeratored, and it can be microwaved whenever you want to it.
TIP: When using a microwave, cook it for 30 seconds.