These are the special cardamom buns that are made to celebrate this day.
7 1/2 c flour
3/4 c butter
2 T yeast
1 c sugar
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 t ground cardamom
1 t grated orange peel
- Combine 1/2 c warm water (a little warm to the touch), sugar, and yeast.
- Add butter, 2c of the flour, salt, cardamom, and orange peel. Separate the eggs- save the yolks and add the whites to the mixture.
- Add the remainder of the flour a bit at a time until the dough is very stiff.
- Knead 10 minutes (until smooth and elastic). If the dough is too flaky, add a little water.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough doubles in size (~1 hour).
- Punch down; knead lightly.
- Pinch off balls of dough about 1 1/2" in diameter. Roll into a foot-long ropes. Coil ends in to form an S shape.
- Place a currant on top of the center of each coil, pressing in.
- Cover with a light plastic film and let rise in a warm place 25 mins.
- Mix egg yolks with 1 1/2 T water.
- Brush yolk and water mixture over risen buns.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 F.