Introduction: Sardine Fish Gravy
Indian oil sardines (Mathi/Chaalai) is a very tasty and healthy fish variety. This fish gravy, from south India, is delicious and goes well with Rice, Dosa, Bread, and Idly. Its also a best accompaniment for Wheat dosa. It is the best nutritious and cheapest fish variety. Indian oil sardines are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, Proteins and very healthy small fish variety that helps in curing inflammations, controlling blood sugar and is an excellent source of Vitamin B12. The fish makes the gravy rich and oily as it gets cooked and as time passes the gravy will taste excellent. This fish gravy goes well with rice, dosa and sweet breads too!!
Step 1: Ingredients
1. Indian Oil Sardines / Mathi / Chalai - 1 kg
2. Onions - 1
3. Tomatoes - 3
3. Green chilies - 5 or 6
4. Garam masala - 2 teaspoon
5. Red Chili powder - 1 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
7. Salt - to taste
8. Tamarind water
9. Curry leaves - Few
10. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
11. Fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
12. Oil - 5 to 6 Teaspoons
13. Grated coconut pieces - Few
14. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Step 2: Preparation Before Cooking
1. Take the sardines and pull off the intestines through opening. Remove the scales using a knife by sliding the knife to and fro along the fish sides. Once done wash fish pieces well in water. Marinate the fish pieces with few pinches of salt
2. Cut three tomatoes, chop onions and split green chilies into two and set aside
3. Soak tamarind in a cup of water for 15 minutes, then extract juice from it and set aside
4. Take Grated Coconut pieces and cumin seeds in a grinding jar, make it paste and set aside
Step 3: Sauteing
1. In a pan add oil, after it heats up splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and chopped onions.
2. Saute for a minute.Then add split green chilies, and saute.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and stir well
Step 4: Adding Masala and Tamarind Water
1. Add Garam masala, Turmeric powder, Chili powder and salt
2. Add tamarind water and stir well.
3. Add water and adjust the consistency. Don't make it too watery
Step 5: Adding Coconut Paste
1. After the Gravy starts boiling add coconut, cumin seeds paste
2. stir it well
Step 6: Add Fish to Gravy
1. After the gravy starts boiling and gets thick add fish pieces.
2. Cook on a low flame for 10 minutes or until the fish gets cooked
3. Sardines Fish gravy is now ready in an authentic South Indian style
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.