Topped with Walnuts and Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and served with a side dish of Black Lentils that have been seasoned with Carrots, Celery, spices, and more Red Onions.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 2 TBS *Garlic Oil
- 4 Big Cloves of Garlic, smashed, peeled, and finely chopped (Optional)
- 1/4 Large Red Onion (1/2 small), sliced in 1/2 moons
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1 Medium Poblano Pepper, stem removed, seeds discarded, sliced into strips about 1/2"x 1-1/2 to 2"
- 1 **Red Chili Pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces (1/2's or smaller)
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Low moisture part Skim Milk Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt to taste.
- 2 TBS fresh Basil Leaves, chopped or sliced into thin shreds
*TO MAKE GARLIC OIL:
- Smash and peel the cloves of one head of garlic. Place them in a small high-sided heavy pot with 1 Cup of Olive Oil (I prefer Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Oil). .Cook over medium to medium high heat until the garlic begins to "bubble." - about 3 minutes; but don't let the garlic brown. .As soon as the garlic looks like it might be beginning to brown, turn down the heat to low and continue to cook for about 10 minutes. .Let the oil cool to room temperature then store in a glass jar.. It can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container for at least a week.
- **Red Chili Pepper: I have tried this recipe with and without the Red Chili Pepper. While the Poblano Pepper may be spicy enough for most diners, I have discovered that a Red Chili is not that hot once the seeds have been removed, and they add a lot of color to the dish.:
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Place 1 TBS of Garlic Oil in a heavy pan or cast iron skillet (my preference) and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Saute Onions & Peppers until a bit softened (2 or 3 minutes).
- Add Chopped Garlic if using, dry herbs, and spices. Saute for another minute or 2 being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove ingredients from pan and set aside.
- Add the 2nd TBS of Garlic Oil to the pan and place the Zucchini rounds in the pan. Add a pinch of sea salt, lower the heat to medium, and fry the Zucchini on one side until brown; flip and brown the other side.
- Return the Pepper & Onion mixture to the pan; stir and heat until heated through (just a minute or two).
- Remove pan from heat; stir in the sliced Basil Leaves, Walnuts, and Shredded Mozzarella.
- Place the pan under the broiler and broil just long enough for the cheese to begin to bubble and brown.
- Remove pan from oven and prepare to serve.
Step 3: TIME TO EAT . . .
I really like the crunchy texture of the peppers, onions and walnuts - and the Black Lentils provide considerable protein and nutrition to the dish (Black Lentils allegedly have the highest amount of protein from any plant (35% protein), and they are full of valuable nutrients (Black Lentil recipe used in this side dish was inspired by Chef John and published by Allrecipes.com).
Step 4: NUTRITION
Nutrition for this recipe (excluding the Braised Black Lentils) was prepared by me using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer..