Introduction: Savory Albacore Tuna Steak With Saffron Seaweed Rice and Golden Onions
This recipe is ridiculous. I made it first about seven years ago and could’ve eaten it once a week since then without getting sick of it. The sauce (butter!) brings out all the flavour in the tuna and the saffron seaweed rice is a perfect compliment. It is a perfect full meal for two and is exceptional for impressing a date. Seriously. This fish is sexy.
Step 1: Ingredients and Directions
For the fish and the sauce:
- 2 tuna steaks
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cold butter cut into small chunks
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon corn starch
For the rice:
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 5-6 saffron petals
- 1 cup crunchy Korean seaweed
- 1 medium to large chopped red or yellow onion
- 1 chopped clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place rinsed rice into a pot with water and saffron. Cook covered on high until it boils and then turn heat down to low. Keep covered. Do not stir. To check if it is finished, tip the pot to the side. If you see any water or the rice moves at all, it needs to cook for longer. If it does not move, turn off heat.
- Preheat oven at 425ºF/220ºC/Gas Mark 7.
- Rinse the tuna steaks and dry off excess water. Place the steaks in a baking (cast iron preferable) pan.
- Combine all of the ingredients for sauce into a bowl. Mix some, but do not mix very thoroughly so each bite is a slightly different experience. Divide the sauce on the steaks. Bake for 12 minutes and remove from heat.
- Heat a pan over medium heat on the stovetop. Toss onions, garlic and butter into the pan. Sautee contents until the onions are soft and lightly browned.
- Scoop desired amount of rice into a bowl and mix in the seaweed. Divide the rice onto two plates.
- Spoon onions onto the rice and place the tuna steaks on top of their oniony bed. Spoon extra sauce around the plate and on top of the fish.
- Light some candles, pour some red wine, breathe in the aromas and gaze lovingly at your plate.
- Enjoy every bite.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.