Introduction: Savory Egg-crepes
i have been trying to perfect my egg-crepe for over a year now, and over the year's worth of good and bad, i have come to the conclusion that this is the best methodology, has no extra unnecessary ingredients and goes well with both sweet and savory internals.
this is the results of my trials and tribulations, enjoy if you can
Step 1: The Egg-Crepe
heres what you'll need for the egg-crepes
each time I make them in batches so i don't cook too many or not enough. Each batch ends up making ~4 average/small size crepes.
- 4 eggs
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of four (here we had wheat flour on hand)
- one spoonful or less of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
blend this really well, make it fluffy. consistency is the key here. if it's too thick (pancake batter status) add a tablespoon of water and mix again. you want this to be thinner as compared to thicker
have hot lightly greased non-stick wok (historically the most available and easiest method to make an egg-crepe in my experiences)
add ~1/4cup of batter to the wok, slowly rotate the wok to get the batter to roll over itself making "layers" on each roll around the pan, slowly expanding how high the batter climbs the walls of the pan as you keep rolling the pan, goal is a even and relativly thin coating on the pan so it's easy to flip and cooks evenly without burning the thinner edge.
Step 2: Savory Crepe Internals
for this particular day I have chosen to make savory crepes, with sautéed veggies and some cheese.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- one bundle of fresh kale, de-stalked and course chopped
- 2lb mushrooms
- aged swiss cheese
chop things and keep them separate until ready to panfry individually.
- mushrooms sauteed in 1tbsp butter with healthy splash of rice wine to cook them down into. i added oregano leaves
- onions sautee'd in 1/2tbsp butter on high heat
- kale rinsed but not dried, 1tsp olive oil coated and pan-fried for just 1-2min to taste for crispness
Step 3: Take Your Pre-made Crepe, Add Savory Stuff, Pan-fry Till Melted Together
- start by having a hot pan
- have your crepe on a plate/in pan and layer whatever you want onto one side
- then fold it in half
- panfry till cheese melts and whole thing is nicely toasted
Step 4: Options
people love options! I like to set out a plethora sweets and fruit to be able to make sweet egg-crepes for those that can't handle the savory/buttery flavors.
- marshmellow fluff
- fresh fruit (here we had bananas, softer is better in terms of fruits added)
and for those that dis-trust the egg-crepe, I find that fresh french toast made from cinnamon bread is a solid failsafe measure to have on hand...
Step 5: Cleanup
after cooking as many crepes as you brought eggs, it's time to clean the kitchen you found yourself cooking in! don't forget to clean, dry, and put away the dishes in whatever fashion you have available. and clean the counters and any mess you may have made on the stove as well...
even if you came into a dirty kitchen to begin this process, you should never leave a kitchen unprepared for it's next usage.
mmmelroy made it!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.