A very popular sandwich cake not only in Sweden (“Smörgåstårta”) but also in Finland (“voileipäkakku”) and Estonia (“võileivatort”) is a savory layered cake using sandwich bread with various filling and toppings. Even though there are many types of fillings, mayonnaise and eggs are two main ingredients to start with.
This sandwich cake can be made with meat, fish, vegetables, pate, cheese or a combination of these and you can garnish it any way you like! It’s great for birthdays and parties or any family gathering!
Enjoy our easy recipes!
Visit our new website: www.happyfoodstube.com
So lets start!
Step 2: Ingredients:
350g (12.3oz) Canned Tuna
150g (5.3oz) Mayonnaise
100g (3.5oz) Sour Cream
60g (2oz) Sweet Corn
2 Hard Boiled Eggs
Salt & Pepper to taste
Sandwich Bread (16 slices without crust)
60g (2oz) Grated cheese (Cheddar/Edam or Gouda)
6 Small Tomatoes
1 Small Cucumber (16 Slices)
Lemon (4 thin slices) – Optional
Fresh Dill (a few sprigs) - Optional
Step 3: Directions:
1. In a food processor blend tuna, sweetcorn, mayonnaise, sour cream, hard-boiled eggs, salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
2. Wash and finely chop parsley.
3. On a serving tray (or a square cake board) layer 4 slices of toast bread to create a square (Trim off the crust if you can’t buy “crustless” bread).
4. Spread a few (3-4) heaped table spoons of the tuna mix over the bread and spread around evenly. Sprinkle some parsley over the spread and cover with bread. Repeat the process until you have used all bread slices (and used all the tuna mix).
5. Keep it in the fridge for several hours (at least 2 but for best results overnight).
6. The following day, mix sour cream with mayonnaise and cover the “cake” using a spatula. Sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped spring onion (the green parts only).
7. Thinly slice the cucumber and tomatoes. Decorate the sides of your cake with these and some dill sprigs. You can put more decorations (lemon slices, cucumber slices = simply cut each slice in half leaving ⅓ uncut. Then grab the 2 cut parts and twist opposite ways – check out video to see how to do it)
8. If you want it to look really fancy, make little roses from small tomatoes (check out our video to see how to make tomato roses) and place them in each corner.
9. Keep in the fridge prior to serving!
Step 4: Subscibe/Follow Us to Get the Latest Updates:
► Website: www.happyfoodstube.com
► Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/happyfoodstube
► Youtube: www.youtube.com/happyfoodstube
► Google+: https://plus.google.com/+happyfoodstube
► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/happyfoodstube
► Instagram: http://instagram.com/happyfoodstube
► Twitter: https://twitter.com/happyfoodstube