Once again I had an inspiration to make a new knife, but this time I was lucky enough to have a used saw blade, so I made the knife from it!
- Angle grinder
- Bench grinder
- Saw blade
- Epoxy glue
- Wood for knife handle (I used oak)
- Vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
Step 1: The Blade
I started with drawing the outlines of the knife on the saw blade. Then I used the angle grinder to cut the blade out.
After that I sharpened the blade. But you really shouldn't do that before hardening, because it makes it easier for the blade to twist. This blade did twist a little, but that's okay, it can't be seen from distance :)
Step 2: Hardening and Tempering
For the fire I used my grill. I fired up the charcoal and used a fan to heat them up even more.
I put the blade in there, and after a couple of minutes the blade was glowing red. I immersed it into the oil and after that I put it into the oven for 1 hour at 250°C (~482℉). However, it was not enough, I should have held it in the oven for a longer period, because later, while working with the blade, a piece from the tip broke off, it was too brittle.
Step 3: The Handle
As I didn't have drill bits that are strong enough to go through steel, I used a different method. Instead of drilling, using the angle grinder I cut out a line in the handle, for the rivets.
After that, I marked the handle on a piece of oak, and cut out both pieces of the handle. I used nails as rivets.
Them I glued everything together and cut off the spare material.
Step 4: The Handle II
For the shaping of the handle I used the angle grinder and sandpaper.
When the most of the spare material was taken off, I started using sandpaper.
Then I put some wood stain on the handle, and used my special polish (bees wax mixed with linseed oil) on the handle.
I didn't like the handle very much, so I decided to carve some lines in it. And to make it even more beautiful, I made the both sides of carvings in different colors.
Step 5: The Sheath
I started with cutting out rough template, and the cutting it out of the leather.
Then I punched out holes for the rivets and holes for sewing, and when that was done, I connected and sewed everything together.
When the sheath was finished, I decided to burn something into the leather. A tree. It didn't turn out so well, but it definitely gives some character to the knife.