Introduction: Scrumptious Homemade Granola
Welcome to my first ever instructable.
If like me you are a cereal lover then I think you will like this granola recipe. It is very simple to make and very flexible. Most of the ingredients can be swapped for similar equivalents to produce a different but equally tasty granola.
So experiment and let us know what you come up with!
Step 1: What You Will Need
- 75ml (2.5 fl oz) Honey
- 75ml (2.5 fl oz) Maple syrup
- 125g (4.5 oz) Salted butter
- 450g (1 lb) Flattened oats
- 75g (3 oz) Pumpkin seeds
- 75g (3 oz) Sunflower seeds
- 50g (2 oz) Sesame seeds
- 50g (2 oz) Chopped hazelnuts
- 50g (2 oz) Chopped pecan nuts
- 50g (2 oz) Chopped almond nuts
- 50g (2 oz) Chopped pistachio nuts
- 75g (3 oz) Dried coconut flakes
- 350g (12.5 oz) Dried fruit/berries (Sultanas, dates, banana, apricots, blueberries, strawberries, ...)
- Weighing scales
- Fluid measuring jug/cup
- Big mixing bowl spoon
- Small saucepan
- Cooking hob
- Two deep baking trays (or large roasting tins)
Step 2: Prepare the Mix
- Put all the oats, nuts, seeds and coconut into the mixing bowl.
- Put the butter, maple syrup and honey into the small saucepan, heat gently and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture from the saucepan into the mixing bowl and mix well but gently.
- When fully mixed spread the mixture out onto the two baking trays.
Step 3: Baking
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius (350 fahrenheit).
- Bake for 30 minutes removing every 10 minutes to toss the mixture.
- When done leave the granola on the baking trays to cool down and dry out (about 1 hour).
Step 4: Add the Dried Fruit/berries and Store
- Chop the larger pieces of dried fruit and berries until everything is roughly the same size.
- Pour the granola back into your mixing bowl, (clean it first!), and then stir in the dried fruit/berries.
- Store the granola in airtight containers such as glass jars with rubber seals on the lids.
Step 5: Serving Suggestion
I like to mix the granola with some bran flakes, fresh strawberries and sliced banana, and then drown it in milk.
But this bit is really up to each persons individual tastes and needs.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.