When you cook the fish you want to make sure that you don’t over do it, tuna is meant to just be seared on the outside.
I love this recipe because it is so fresh tasting, and uses Asian ingredients (one of my favorite types of foods to make as I’m sure you’ve noticed!).
Step 1: Tuna Ingredients
Yellowfin Tuna steak (you can also use Ahi)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon chile garlic sauce or Sriracha
2 tablespoons black and white sesame seeds, toasted
drizzle of sesame oil
Step 2: Salad Ingredients
square wonton wrappers, cut into strips (if you want this to be gluten free use corn tortillas)
handful of mixed lettuce
1 can pineapple, diced
1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoon chile garlic sauce or sriracha
1 tablespoon tahini
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
back and white sesame seeds
Step 3: Tuna, Wondon Crisps, and Salad Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the wonton
strips in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Spray the wontons with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes – you don’t want them to burn (like I did!) so keep a close eye on them. You only want them to be a light golden brown color / just crispy. Once they are browned remove the tray from the oven and set aside.
3. Mix together the soy sauce and cornstarch in a small pot over medium-high until well mixed. Then add the pineapple juice, the honey and chile garlic sauce/Sriracha. Bring this mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has begun to thicken. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Heat a large cast iron pan on high and add a drizzle of sesame oil. Pour in the sauce mixture until bubbling. Place the tuna steak in the pan and sear the first side of the tuna steak, flip the tuna over and sear that side. Remove the steak from the pan and slice into strips (or bite sized pieces).
5. In a small bowl combine the hot toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, chile garlic sauce, tahini, the juice of 1 lime, the fresh ginger and garlic.
6. Place a handful of lettuce on each plate and sprinkle a few of the pineapple chunks on top of the lettuce. Place the tuna steak strips on top of each lettuce/pineapple on the plates, sprinkle with the black and white sesame seeds, and drizzle with the vinaigrette. You could also serve with sliced avocado, none of mine were ripe :(