Have you ever felt insecure about what you have on your pc? Maybe they are things you shouldn't have, or maybe you are just worried about your precious data (credit cards, login info, etc.) falling into the wrong hands? Then this intsructable is made with you in mind.
Being at college now, system security has become a priority for me. It is easy for someone to swipe a laptop and although it is password protected with windows, these are easy to bypass. And for me my computer is key (being a physics/computer science major), so I want to keep mine as safe as possible and I hope you do too.
In this instructable I intend to lead you step by step from backing up your data, to wiping the computer clean, right down to installing the OS, and then I will lead you through the process of encrypting your drives using the AES encryption algorithm that the top level government agencies use. PS, I apologize for any lack of pictures, I do not have a capture card capable of hdmi or VGA input so the screenshots I use are all from my phone or the internet.
For this instructable you will need:
- A PC
- An Operating System or two. (I will be dual booting win 7 and a linux distro and i will instruct on how to accomplish dual booting)
- Truecrypt (free and open source encryption software, available from www.truecrypt.org
- Darik's Boot and Nuke (optional but recommended, available free from http://www.dban.org/
- CD/DVD media (for boot discs)
- Backup media (discussed in the next step)
- Moderate-Advanced computer knowledge
- Although not required, this instructable involves the downtime of your computer so I would advise one of the following routes:
1.) Memorize every, single part of this instructable to perform during the process
2.) Print this instructable out to follow
3.) Use a second machine to follow this instructable
Notice: Although I will be walking you through the process, please be aware that every system is unique and may have specialized challenges (this is where computer knowledge helps) and I take no responsibility for any loss of data, or damage to your machine done through this process. Additionally, I take no responsibility if you are using this knowledge for illegal or immoral use. Please proceed with your own caution.