Being at college now, system security has become a priority for me. It is easy for someone to swipe a laptop and although it is password protected with windows, these are easy to bypass. And for me my computer is key (being a physics/computer science major), so I want to keep mine as safe as possible and I hope you do too.
In this instructable I intend to lead you step by step from backing up your data, to wiping the computer clean, right down to installing the OS, and then I will lead you through the process of encrypting your drives using the AES encryption algorithm that the top level government agencies use. PS, I apologize for any lack of pictures, I do not have a capture card capable of hdmi or VGA input so the screenshots I use are all from my phone or the internet.
For this instructable you will need:
- A PC
- An Operating System or two. (I will be dual booting win 7 and a linux distro and i will instruct on how to accomplish dual booting)
- Truecrypt (free and open source encryption software, available from www.truecrypt.org)
- Darik's Boot and Nuke (optional but recommended, available free from http://www.dban.org/)
- CD/DVD media (for boot discs)
- Backup media (discussed in the next step)
- Moderate-Advanced computer knowledge
- Although not required, this instructable involves the downtime of your computer so I would advise one of the following routes:
1.) Memorize every, single part of this instructable to perform during the process
2.) Print this instructable out to follow
3.) Use a second machine to follow this instructable
Notice: Although I will be walking you through the process, please be aware that every system is unique and may have specialized challenges (this is where computer knowledge helps) and I take no responsibility for any loss of data, or damage to your machine done through this process. Additionally, I take no responsibility if you are using this knowledge for illegal or immoral use. Please proceed with your own caution.