My friends had a nice chunk of oak they were going to turn into firewood. Knowing that their wedding was coming up 8 months later I stole it from them saying I had a better use for it. Here is what that turned into.
> Oak Log
> Cherry Board
> Zerbra Wood Board
Step 1: Rough Shaping the Log
The bottom of the piece had to be flattened for mounting the face-plate. I couldn't get my chainsaw going so my solution was some brute force with a sawzall and chisel/hammer.
A circle was scribed on top to cut it to rough shape.
I move it over to the bandsaw to cut off the corners and get it down to roughly a circular shape.
The face plate is attached with some screws to hold the log in place.
Step 2: Roughing & Drying
Step 3: Splinting the Bowl
After about 8 months of drying and some rounds in the microwave the bowl is ready to be finished. As I expected, a couple of cracks developed in the heart wood during drying so I cut the center of the bowl away on the bandsaw with my jig to hold it in place.
Step 4: Making the Chevron Pattern
To replace the center of the bowl I decided to laminate a piece of cherry and zebra wood for a mirrored chevron pattern.
Clamps, clamps, clamps. I glue it up in stages, first a long strip.
I use my miter saw to cut down the pieces to length and place them in the pattern to preview.
These pieces are all clamped in place again in a couple of stages until the U is dry.
I flatten both sides on the disk sander to give a good surface for the glue-up.
The infill is cut to rough profile on the bandsaw then sandwiched into the bowl and glued and clamped into place.
Step 5: Final Shaping
After the bowl is done drying for the night, I pull it out from the clamps. Probably could have taken the infill shape down a little bit more, but it'll still work.
I mount the bowl back to the face plate and mount it back on the lathe!
I work on the inside and the outside to bring it down to final thickness, about 1/2" thick. Bonus action shot.
I sand through the grits with about a half dozen rounds of sanding until it shines at 300 grit.
Step 6: Finishing
The bowl is finished with a linseed oil & beeswax mix. It goes on in thin layers and I buff them between coats. About 5 coats total to get it to this finish.
Since I don't have a chuck I just part the bowl off from a waste block with a slight incline in the cut towards the center of the bowl. I then sand and finish the bottom after it pops off the lathe.
Step 7: Branding
I use toner transfer to stamp their names and wedding date on the bottom of the bowl. This is just a matter of using a laser print and printing out a mirror image of what I want, then I use acetone to transfer the toner from the paper over to the bowl.
Step 8: Glamour Shots
And it's done! Made the plane trip from Boston to Alabama in one piece for the wedding.
The bride was pleased :)
I'll drop the link to the build video down here for you too, enjoy!