You can make the pocket from scratch like I did or use an existing coin purse/pouch if you'd like.
Step 1: Materials
* Fleece - I chose 3 colors, one for the mouth pocket, one for the body, and one for the belly.
* Felt (assorted colors) - for making eyes, legs, wings, and whatever cool features you'd like your serpent to have.
* Purse Frame - You can find lots of styles on Etsy or at a fabric store (though Joann Fabrics only sells them online I learned today). I got mine from a thrift store coin purse - you can use pliers to remove the fabric and leave just the hardware. Next time I make one of these I'll try a rounded frame, it is more of a 'serpent' shape.
* Thread (assorted colors if you want to match your felt/fleece).
* Marker/Pencil - for drawing your pattern
* Needle - for hand sewing finishing touches.
* Sewing Machine
* Flathead Screwdriver - to help push the fleece into the purse frame. You could also use the end of a small pair of scissors or a seam ripper.
* Pliers (optional) - you may need these to bend the purse frame to hold the fabric tighter.
Step 2: Make the 'mouth' pocket
Cut two, pin together and sew up to your purse frame markings (see 4th picture).