Step 1: What Is X10, and What Is This Project About?
Step 2: What You Need
(1) x10 remote
(2) x10 recivers
(2) lights that are plugged into the wall
(1) flat head scewdriver or other flat thing
(1) brother label maker
Step 3: What Lights Are You Going to Use, and More on X10
unit 1: ps2 neon sign
unit 2: some random lamp
Pick the light closet to the spot where you want the remote. This is where you will put the reciver with the antenna. The other one is transmitted over power lines, so it will not matter, unless you're afrid of some lag. Because of this, removing the antenna one will disable the system.
Step 4: Labeling the Remote
1) Set your label maker to the smallest size and type in "ps2 sign" or "room lamp"
2) print and cut the label from the maker
3) compare the empty plastic "shell" to the label.
4) cut to size
5) stick it in the shell and put it on. You don't have to remove the paper on the back.
6) repeat for each light
Step 5: Setting the Corect HOUSE and UNIT
The second light is more complex. Make sure it is set to the same HOUSE as above, the the UNIT can be 2 or 3. But why not 4? the remote has 4 buttons? IF you read on the bottom it says BRIGHT and DIM. these control the dimmer for UNIT 3. So, if you wanted to dim that light you could. I think it is more of a hassle, so I don't use the dim, and if you don't want to, you don't have to. So for this how-to the UNIT is set to 2.
Step 6: Plugging It All In
1) Take the Ps2 sign plug and unplug it
2) Plug it into the main reciver
3) plug it back into the wall
4) do the same thing with other lamp
Then hit the first button to ON. If it works, try the second. If both of them don't work, check the HOUSE and UNIT is right, and make sure the main one is plugged in. IF one doesn't work, unplug the reciver and make sure it works by itself.
Step 7: Mounting the Remote and Closing Thoughts
this can go much further then two lights. Your whoule house maybe, even computer controlled. Take a look at x10.com to see what you can do with this great system.