Step 1: Materials needed to make warm hat
- 100% wool sweater ready to be discarded
(This sweater has 2 moth holes and the stripes are about 2 inches
- a fleece or velour jacket or hoodie ready to be discarded
- paper to make pattern and a pencil
- an 8 inch plate
- a ruler
- pins to attach pattern to sweater
- washing machine and detergent
- pair of flip flops or rubber balls
- sewing machine able to sew through thick material
Step 2: Put sweater, detergent and pair of flip flops into washing machine
How many times have you done this to a good sweater? Now you have a way to reuse it.
Step 3: Repeat wash cycles if necessary
Step 4: Make paper pattern
For an average woman's size hat, for a head circumference of about 22 inches,
To make the top of the hat:
Place an 8 inch plate on the paper and outline it with a pencil. Cut out the circle.
To make the brim:
Make a rectangle 13" X 6" with the ruler. Cut out the rectangle.