It's a great beginner's sewing project and a fantastic way to use up scrap fabric! And it's the perfect size for all the necessities - chapstick, cellphone, bank cards, cash... it can all fit in there!
I've also got some of these listed in my etsy store if you'd like to go that route: making jiggy by jessyratfink
Step 1: What you'll need:
- 2 - 6.5 x 8.5 in pieces of cotton fabric for lining
- 2 - 6.5 x 8.5 in pieces of cotton fabric for outside
- 1 - 2 x 14-16 in piece for strap
- 1 button (I like the ones you can cover yourself!)
- 1 small piece of ric rac, tshirt fabric, or elastic for closure, less than 5 inches long.
- needle and thread OR sewing machine
The length of your strap depends on how big you'd like it - I like mine to be longer so that I can wear the clutch higher up on my arm, in the crook of my elbow, with lots of extra room.
Step 2: Cutting!
Cut two 6.5 x 8.5 inch rectangles of each of your fabrics, and then one 2 x 14-16 inch strip of your exterior fabric to be made into your strap.
Step 3: Sew the strap!
Fold the strap in half lengthwise, then finger press. Open back up, and fold the long edges into the center crease, finger pressing both sides. Now fold the strap in half!
Now you have all the ragged edges nicely enclosed. Pin the strap together every couple inches to make sewing easier.
Sew the two folded over edges together using a tight, short running stitch, knotting well at each end.