I use a lot of Sharpies and I got tired of having them loose in my backpack. They would always to the bottom and I could never find the color that I needed. So I decided to organize them with a simple zipper pouch.
In this Instructable, I'll show you how I made it for only a couple of dollars.
I made this at TechShop.
Step 1: What you'll need
For this project, you'll need the following:
- Fabric - I chose to use vinyl. You'll need a 8"x10" piece.
- Zippers - I purchased a 4-pack from the dollar store.
- Fabric scissors
Since I'm doing this at TechShop, I'm using their basic sewing machine. You just need to supply the needles (which I also found at the dollar store) and you can check out a kit that has the feet and everything else you need for the machine.
Because I'm working with vinyl, I chose to use a #16 needle.
Step 2: Setup your machine
Before beginning your project, check the settings of the machine to make sure the stitch pattern is the one you would like to use. I decided on a straight stitch with a moderately long stitch length. With vinyl, you don't want a short stitch length because it could weaken the material.
Step 3: Sew the zipper
I did trial and error a few times before finally figuring out an easy way to do the zipper on this bag. You may be limited by the sewing machine and which feet you have available. This method just uses the standard foot and should be simple enough to do on any machine.
- Lay your material good side up. Along the 8" side, lay your zipper face down. Roll the edge of the fabric over the zipper so that it's sandwiched between it, with the good sides touching the side of the zipper.
- Pin it to secure it in place
- Sew right along the edge, removing the pins before you get to them. Once done, go over it again so that you have 2 stitches on that side of the zipper.
- Repeat with the other side of material and other side of the zipper