You’ll need a T-shirt and enough fabric to wrap around you once.
I made this dress for a grand total of $7! hooray discount fabrics!
Step 1: 1. Prep the Top
Step 2: Trace
3. Extend the line past the hips down to knee length (adding 1” for hem)
Step 3: Creating the "Cut Out"
Step 4: Creating the Cut Out Pt 2
6. Now lay the fabric over your T-Shirt so you can see the size hole you are getting. Mark where you want the upper line to be. Add 0.5”. I do recommend making this hole smaller than you think you want because it will stretch when you put it on. I had to completely redo the dress because the first time I made it I looked rather trashy.
7. Now draw a line through the point you marked in step 5 to the arm hole. Cut
8. Repeat the steps for making the hole for the back side of the dress if you want it to be different than the front. I made mine smaller just because.
Step 5: Finish Edges
Step 6: Assemble
*Optional but recommended: Either top stitch the whole upper piece to the lower half or hand stitch the layers together at the corners where they separate**
11. Sew front and back together at side seam (the shoulder should still be done if you are using a t-shirt)
12. Now reattach the sleeve.