I first saw shadow puppet characters on Etsy and loved them. What a great gift idea! The puppets were $20, so relying on my own master cutting skills and inginuity, I gathered some supplies (most of which were on hand) and wallah! I had made an adorable gift set including a flashlight and carrying case- all for under $10. Booyah.
Because it's so easy to make (really, this one is) and so fun to play with, I challenge all gift buyers to think outside the box stores and make something simple and fun. Besides, should monsters and dolls even be in the same sentence? Yikes.
Step 1: The Supplies
- black card stock (6 sheets or so)
- large flashlight ($4)
- 1 pkg wooden dowel sticks
- glue gun, glue stick
- scrap long piece of fabric, measurement varies
- matching thread
- 8" ric rac
- 1" button
Step 2: Cutting and Laminating
- Decide on a theme for your puppets, then search online for some image inspiration. My image inspiration came from a set I saw online.
- Sketch your figures on to some card stock, or print some images and then trace them on.
- Cut out your images then laminate. Cutting them first will help them seal better than trying to cut them after laminating.
Staples laminated all my figures for around $2.