Introduction: Sheepish Shepherd's Pie (Veggie)
It might seem more mature to say that I made this for kids so they would find a veggie-filled meal fun, rather than just admit that this was my dinner last night.
So...um...yeah, it was totally the first thing...
Step 1: Ingredients
6 large potatoes
2 cups veggie crumbles*
2 Tbs olive oil
3 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 cup broccoli - chopped
4 carrots - chopped
1 cup mushrooms - sliced
3/4 cup almond milk
3 oz spinach - chopped
1 small onion - diced
1 bulb garlic - roasted
3 Tbs flax seed - ground
3 Tbs vegan cream Cheese
1 Tbs vegan Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs Herbes de Provence
4 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
Black food coloring
*This is the only thing that keep s this from being a vegan recipe. I wanted to retain some similarity to the original. Feel free to replace with more veggies (or a vegan fake ground meat - and let me know what brand that is!)
Pot to boil potatoes
Cake decorator or Pastry bag
Pastry tip - Large star
Pastry tip - Medium circle
Step 2: Prep Work
Before you start chopping, get your garlic roasted and veggie broth prepared.
There are already two great Instructables that have these covered:
Step 3: Mashed Potatoes
To prepare the potatoes
- Peel, boil and drain potatoes
- Mash with a hand mixer
- Add almond milk and Tofutti cream cheese and blend
- Mix in the vegan Parmesan, 1 tsp salt and all the roasted garlic (perhaps less if that is not how you roll)
- Put about half a cup of mashed potato in a separate dish and stir in black food coloring.
- Add slowly and only use as much as you need. The color may run into the white potatoes during baking, so using the least amount to get the effect you want will minimize this.
- Using a spatula, spread a thin layer of mashed potatoes along the bottom and sides of the pie pan.
Step 4: Chop and Saute Veggies
Prepare pie filling
- Chop onion, set aside
- Chop rest of veggies into vaguely even pieces
- Add olive oil to a skillet and saute onions until translucent
- Add all veggies except spinach
- Add red wine vinegar
- Pour in broth
- Add flax seed, mustard, cumin, Herbes de Provence, 1 Tbs salt and 1 tsp pepper
- Let cook until just until colors brighten up (3 - 5 minutes or so)
- Drop in spinach and veggie crumbles - Let cook until the spinach wilts (2 more minutes)
Step 5: Assemble
- Pour all veggies into the pie crust.
- Fill a decorator thingy or pastry bag with mashed potatoes
- Using a large star tip, begin outlining the body with stars
- Fill in the circle, leaving the area for the head empty, except for the eyes
- Switch to the dyed potato and a circle pastry tip to fill in the rest of the face, eyes and feet.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.