- Turnbuckels - 1 per threaded rod
- Threaded Rod - i used 1/4in
- 1 old futon - or other shelf like wood
- box of washers
- box of nuts (both should fit the threaded rod)
- dremmel - optional
Step 1: Design Shelves
these are totally adjustable, so you could do anything
Step 2: Deconstruction & Cutting
- take apart old futon
- cut wood into your desired shelf lengths
Step 3: Finding Studs & Drilling Holes
- find studs in ceiling using stud finder
- drill small holes where you want your rod to hang.
Step 4: More Drilling
- drill 4 holes in each piece (2 on each end)-
you want to make sure your wood holes match up with the holes in the ceiling
Step 5: Screwing & Hanging
- screw the closed loop end of the turnbuckle into the holes
- screw threaded rod into the other end of the turnbuckle
- hang threaded rod as in pictures
Step 6: Nearly Done
- insert wood shelves onto threaded rod - in whatever configuration you wish.
- after each piece of wood is on, add a washer and a nut.
- i used a ladder to keep the wood shelf held up while i ran the nuts up to the desired position. also used tape to tape the washers to the shelf so that they didn't get in the way
- (optional) - to save a lot of time running the nuts up the rod, use something like a dremmel with buffing attachment to turn the nuts so that they spin up the rod.