Its way early for shiitake innoculation but because I had to fell a large oak tree that the bulldozer scraped I decided to try a little experiment and after about 30 minutes with the chainsaw and some hard work I had a stack of oak logs ready for innoculation. So I have like 100 plugs and I’ll never get them all used up. But I figured this is a good time for an experiment. If this works I can prolong my harvest rather than getting a flush of hundreds of mushrooms at once. It might mean the difference between being forced to find a market and enjoying them all to myself!
Logs, drill, hammer, and spawn dowels.
Holes drilled. Traditional pattern is in a grid with holes drilled in lines 2″ apart vertically. Each hole in the line is 6″ from the other.
Another view of the holes. As I said, my pattern is wider.
Plug getting ready to be hammered!
All the way in.
Wax is applied, sealing the plugs into the wound.
Simple aluminum labels made of a Pepsi can.
I wrote on: Name, Inoc date and variety.