Introduction: Show Your 3DS Photos on 2D Screens
The Nintendo 3DS can take 3D photos with its dual cameras on the lid. It's fun to look at these images on the 3DS, but then what? How else is anyone going to be able to see them in 3D?
The answer is to turn the 3D image into a two-frame animated gif like the one above. By quickly alternating images you get the feeling of depth. And maybe a little wooziness, too. Welcome to the world of the wiggle pic. Here's how to easily make them.
Step 1: Get Your Files Off Your 3DS
Just pop out the SD card from the left side of your 3DS and stick it into your computer. The files will be in the DCIM folder. There will be subfolders in here so just look around.
Each picture you shot on your 3DS has a JPG file and a MPO file. What you want is the MPO file as that contains both the left and right image while the JPG only contains one. So copy the MPO files onto your computer.
Now that you have your files you have two options. One is quick and easy, but has no privacy or control. The other is the opposite. We'll cover the easy technique first.
Step 2: 3D Porch
- Go to 3D Porch
- Upload your image in the text box on the top right
- Wait a minute for the image to process and refresh the page
- Right-click on the image and select "Save Image As..."
- Give the image a new name if you want
- You now have the animated gif!
OK, now for the more involved version. More privacy, more control, here we come!
Step 3: StereoPhoto Maker
So here's what to do:
- Open up the program
- File > Open Stereo Image (W)
- Stereo > Single Image View > Flashing (Ctrl + F11)
- Tap left until you're happy with the way the image is flashing. This adjusts the location of the two images and with this you can shift the neutral plane of the image a bit.
- File > Make animation gif...
- Choose a name and you're done!
If you have those red and cyan glasses you can make an anaglyph picture as well. Just select Stereo > ColorAnaglyph > (your choice of anaglyph style), adjust, and save.
All right, have fun in 3D and don't cause too many seizures.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.