Introduction: Shower Shelf Fix With Bicycle Inner Tubes
Ms. Zoid and I purchased a 4 tier shower caddy last year and found it to be very useful. When packing for our recent move, we pulled it apart only to realize that all of the plastic shelf holders had broken and pretty much disintegrated. Our search began for more plastic connectors, but alas, we were unable to find replacements. That's when Ms. Zoid's light bulb went on "Why don't we use bicycle inner tubes?" That's all I needed to hear and I was able to complete the project in a manner of minutes.
- Busted up shower rack
- Bicycle Inner Tube - 26 X 1.25
- Scissors - a good solid pair
- Under a half hour
Step 1: Inner Tube Fix
I always have bicycle Inner Tubes ready for action. These tubes just happen to have fit perfectly over the shelf pole.
- Decide where you would like your shelves to go.
- Cut 4 pieces of tube about 2 inches long and slip them onto the pole where you want your shelves to go.
- Cut 4 strips of tube so that they are long enough to wrap around the pole.
- Roll the bottom of the tube so that it rolls over itself.
- Place the inner tube strip under the rolled part and roll the inner tube back down.
- Slide your shelf piece down, over the inner tube pieces and you should have a snug fit.
I kind of lucked out with my fit but with a bit of playing with this, you should be set to go in no time.
To see what other uses I have used recycled Inner Tubes for, check out this Instructable.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.