I used a recipe from Whole Foods as a base, because its addition of coconut milk really appealed to me: Sweet Potato Pancakes with Ricotta Cheese (we skipped the cheese).
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and shredded by food processor (about 4 cups)
- handful of pre-peeled garlic cloves, chopped in a food processor
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped in a food processor
- 2 tablespoons flour
- about a teaspoon sea salt
- about a teaspoon of white pepper
- about a teaspoon dried basil and oregano
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
Heat some canola oil (refined for high heat) in a large skillet or griddle. Working in batches, and using more oil as needed, use 1/2 cups sweet potato batter to make each pancake.
Cook, covered, for 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Remove to a platter and serve immediately.
Turn on your orange playlist, plate with other orange foods, and eat while wearing your most vibrantly orange gear. Matches well with the Instructables color scheme.
I made six pancakes to start, got fed up with separating and flipping them, and so just dumped the remaining potatoes on the griddle and cooked them like hash browns.
When I make this dish again, I'll microwave the shredded sweet potatoes for about a minute before mixing them with the rest of the ingredients. The potatoes started to brown slightly before they were cooked all the way through. Pre-cooking in the microwave will make them perfect.