This blowgun is very simple in theory and can be built in less than 30 minutes for under $5 using a 3 foot section of CPVC pipe with a female adapter as a mouth piece on one end and a piece of foam insulation to hold the darts.
There are three basic designs for blowguns. First is the standard one-piece gun which usually comes in lengths from 24 inches to 48 inches. There's the two-piece gun, which is usually 48 to 72 inches and finally you can buy a breakdown or backpacker style blowgun. The backpacker style blowgun usually breaks down into 3 or 4 pieces so you can store it in your backpack.
Modern blowguns tend to be made out of aircraft aluminum tubing.
You will need the following materials:
- 3 feet of 1/2" CPVC pipe (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- 1/2" CPVC female adapter (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- Ball point straight pins (Size/No: 20-1 1/4") (sewing store/Walmart)
- 2 inches of 1 1/2" pipe foam insulation (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- sheet of notebook paper
Step 1: CPVC Blowgun Construction
1. Cut a 3' section of 1/2" CPVC and sand down any burs around both ends on both the outside and inside. This forms the blow gun tube.
2. Press on, but do not cement, a 1/2" female adapter onto one end of the 3' section of 1/2" CPVC. Try to find the female adapter's that have a rubber washer on the inside of the wide end. If you can't find one then purchase one. It should be 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID and 1/8" thick. The washer helps to prevent the dart from coming out. This forms the mouth piece.
3. Cut a 2" wide section of foam and wrap it around the CPVC tube 1' from the female adapter. This forms the dart holder.