There are three basic designs for blowguns. First is the standard one-piece gun which usually comes in lengths from 24 inches to 48 inches. There's the two-piece gun, which is usually 48 to 72 inches and finally you can buy a breakdown or backpacker style blowgun. The backpacker style blowgun usually breaks down into 3 or 4 pieces so you can store it in your backpack.
Modern blowguns tend to be made out of aircraft aluminum tubing.
You will need the following materials:
- 3 feet of 1/2" CPVC pipe (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- 1/2" CPVC female adapter (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- Ball point straight pins (Size/No: 20-1 1/4") (sewing store/Walmart)
- 2 inches of 1 1/2" pipe foam insulation (Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store)
- sheet of notebook paper
Step 1: CPVC Blowgun construction
2. Press on, but do not cement, a 1/2" female adapter onto one end of the 3' section of 1/2" CPVC. Try to find the female adapter's that have a rubber washer on the inside of the wide end. If you can't find one then purchase one. It should be 3/4" OD and 1/2" ID and 1/8" thick. The washer helps to prevent the dart from coming out. This forms the mouth piece.
3. Cut a 2" wide section of foam and wrap it around the CPVC tube 1' from the female adapter. This forms the dart holder.
Step 2: Dart construction
2. Apply the glue stick on 1/4" of the half-circle in a pie-shaped segment. Roll the non-glued edge around to the remaining line on the paper and roll the glued side around forming a cone shape. Allow to dry.
3. From the inside of the cone, push through a straight pin until the head rests at the bottom of the cone. Make sure the pin is straight. Allow one drop of super glue to drop into the cone. Allow to dry.
4. If the base of the cone is too large to fit into the blow gun, set the cone into the end of the pipe and note how much sticks up. Using a pair of scissors make many small cuts around the base of the cone down to the level of the dart gun opening.
5. Stick your supply of darts on both sides of the foam around the blow gun tube.
Step 3: Operating procedures
2. Grip the blowgun with one hand behind the mouthpiece and about midway down with the other.
3. Take a deep breath. Place your lips against the mouth piece forming a tight seal. Aim your blow gun and quickly and forcefully blow. DO NOT INHALE! The mouth piece and rubber washer should not allow the dart to move backwards but never inhale with your mouth against the mouth piece.