Introduction: Simple Chicken Pot Pie
For college students, or those with restricted budgets and cooking spaces, putting together homemade meals can be a challenge. A simple pot pie is a great solution, requiring few materials and simple ingredients. The following recipe for a Simple Chicken Pot Pie would be a great choice for beginner cooks, or those with limited kitchen access. Made with soup, pre-made doughs, and precooked meats and vegetables, this dish is both easy and customizable!
Made for ENGL 421 Group Project 2 - Feedback appreciated!
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
1 Tube refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 (6 3/4-oz.) Can cooked chicken pieces
1 (16-oz.) Can mixed chopped vegetables, drained
1 (10 3/4-oz.) Can cream of chicken soup
1/4 Teaspoon poultry seasoning
Non-stick cooking spray (or oil/butter to cover pan)
Measuring spoons (at least a 1/4 teaspoon)
Medium mixing bowl
8"x8" square baking dish*
Pair oven mitts (or similar)
Oven (conventional or toaster)
*Note: For the amount of filling listed a smaller square pan is ideal. During recipe testing, only a 9"x13" pan was available. For this size pan, a double batch of the filling would be better.
Step 2: Preparation
- Preheat oven to 375F, or temperature specified on biscuit dough package
- Grease baking dish
- Open containers of soup, meat, and vegetables
- Open biscuit dough tube and unroll dough
Step 3: Mix Filling
In medium mixing bowl:
- Add meat and seasonings and mix to coat
- Add soup and vegetables
- Stir to combine thoroughly
Step 4: Assemble Pie
In baking dish:
- Pour in filling mixture
- Spread filling into an even layer
- Lay dough sheet over filling
- Cut small holes in dough to vent
Step 5: Baking and Serving
Once dish is assembled:
- Place baking dish in preheated oven
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is heated through
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove baking dish from oven
- Allow to cool slightly
Step 6: Customization
Serve and enjoy!
In order to make this recipe more accessible, many ingredients can be swapped in or out to fit your preference.
- Canned chicken can be replaced with an equal amount of another precooked meat
- Canned mixed vegetables can be replaced with frozen and defrosted vegetables or cleaned fresh vegetables
- Cream of chicken soup can be replaced with another soup of similar consistency (ie: another "cream of" soup variety)
- Poultry seasoning can be replaced with another premixed powdered seasoning or a combination of salt, pepper, and other individual spices
Again, we would greatly appreciate any feedback you have about our instructions! We have created a short survey here to help collect responses! Thank you!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.