Hi, I'm newbie to programming and this is my simple project to create smart switch (power outlet) for the bulb using ESP8266 as standalone with a little modification.
I'm sorry for my bad english. I'm Indonesian. I didn't expect that ESP8266 could work with Cayenne.
I choose ESP as main unit because it's realy cheap, only need one GPIO, and the size is very small that fit to my ex timer case.
WARNING : THIS IS ELECTRICIAN MAY SHOCK YOU. BE CAREFULL !!!
Step 1: Bill of Materials
- ESP8266 ESP-12F
- CP210x USB to UART
- 5V to 3.3V Step Down Converter
- 5V Generic Power Supply
- 1 Ch 5V Relay
- Case (I use ex timer power outlet)
- Arduino IDE
- Cayenne Library for Arduino
- Cayenne for iOS or Android or Cayenne Website
- Register to Cayenne and get your token
Step 2: Connect and Upload Code to ESP Via USB UART
Connection Map :
USB UART ESP
3.3V VCC & EN/CH_PD
GND GND & GPIO0 & GPIO15
On Arduino IDE :
- Import Cayenne library from here
- Select Generic ESP8266 Module from Tools -> Boards
- Select Port which connected from Tools -> Port
- Upload code to ESP Board
Step 3: Connect ESP to Relay Module and Ready to Use
- Release the GPIO0 from GND
- Connect GPIO4 to Relay digital signal
- Connect 5V Power Supply to VIN 3.3V Step Down Converter and VCC&GND Relay VIN
- Connect 3.3V VOUT to VCC and GND
- Connect GPIO15 to GND
- Connect L AC Power Source to middle relay switch and connect NO to the power output
- Connect N AC Power Source directly to power output
- Open Cayenne on your device, add new Arduino device, add new light switch, select virtual pin 1, and save
- Your plug is now connected as IoT
I'm sorry for the bad instruction, I'm very new comer.