In this project, we will make a simple parabolic solar cooker made from cardboard. Then later, we will add simple solar tracker to help the alignment to the sun.
Step 1: Prepare the Materials
* aluminum foil or mylar sheet
* knife or cutter
* 2 pcs of key rings
* bottle ring
* paper clip
Step 2: Make a Parabola Pattern
To make a parabola:
1. Using pencil or stick, punch a hole to the desired focal point in the box. Maybe 10cm to 15cm from the bottom of the box to focal point. Let the pencil or stick stay in the hole.
2. Lay down the rod to the box for a desired distance from focal point to the top of parabola. This will serve as guide to draw a parabola.
3. Tie the string to the two key rings as shown in the image. Then insert to the rod.
4. Slowly draw a parabola. The marker should always align with the ring on the side where it is being drawn until the center is reached. Then continue with the other half of the parabola.
5. Cut the parabola. Please refer to the image. This will serve as a template for the other parts.
Step 3: Box Frame
Step 4: Prepare the Ribs
Cut rectangular shapes of cardboard. Use these as spacer to each rib's gap.
Step 5: Attach the Reflector
Now the parabola cooker is ready. Lets add a tool to locate the sun's perfect angle. We will make a solar tracker. Go to the next step.
Step 6: Make the Solar Tracker
2. Draw a cross as shown above.
3. Place the paper clip to the center of the cross. This will serve as a needle of the tracker.
4. Glue the 5cm by 5cm cardboard to the bottom of the tracker to secure the needle.
5. Place the bottle ring to surround the area of the tracker.
6. Fold the tracker in half. Will form a right angle as shown above. Glue to secure the angle.
Now this is ready to attach to the cooker.
Step 7: Attach the Solar Tracker
Step 8: Done
From time to time, align the cooker using the tracker. If the shadow of the needle is in the middle of the tracker, it is aligned.