Introduction: Simple Recliner
Do you fidget in chairs? Do you have a sore back sometimes? Maybe your chair is not the right shape for you. With these instructions you can make a chair that fits your specific body. You only need hand tools, screws, and some lumber.
Step 1: Take a Picture of Yourself
Lean back against something soft, like a bed or a footrest. Put your legs in a comfortable position. Have a friend take a picture of you in this position.
Step 2: Lay Out the Lines
Draw lines on the picture using GIMP, Photoshop, or paint. Write in the length of the line in pixels. In my picture, I converted from pixels to inches using one of the 9" floor tiles as a reference.
I originally planned to include a headrest and a desk for a computer. Later I decided not to include those. I use a pillow for a headrest and I put my laptop on my legs.
Step 3: Materials
- 9"x1" oak board for the top
- 6"x1" oak board for the bottom
- Square rods called balusters for the supports. Buy these at a lumber yard.
- two dozen #8 1-1/2" wood screws.
- Hand drill
- For this screw, in hardwood, use a through hole drill bit of 11/64" and a pilot hole drill bit of 1/8".
- Countersink bit
- Pull saw
- Measuring tape
Step 4: Make It!
In this video I cut the wood, drill the holes, and put it all together.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.