This very simple organizer is a quick build and helps you keep track of drill bits, pens, pencils and any other long skinny objects, plus, it keeps clutter from accumulating on your shop table. It's easy to build and is fun to work on with someone who is just learning how to use shop tools (chop saw, drill press, table saw, etc). As always though, power tools are not toys so please wear safety equipment and exercise caution when using them.
Tools and supplies required:
1) glue spreader
3) tape measure & ruler
4) latex paint
5) finishing saw
6) 1 1/2" screws
7) right angle or quick square
9) pin nailer
Compound mitre saw
Insulation foam/PL300 glue
Scrap 3/4 plywood
Scrap 3/4 trim
Step 1: Step One: Foam Block
I used PL300 Foam glue to stick two pieces of dense insulation foam together. When they were dry I cut the finished block into a small rectangle (you can choose a size that is suitable for your space - mine was approximately 7"x16").
On the bottom of the block draw a grid. I found 1"x1" squares to work well for me.
Using a 1/8 drill bit I drilled out holes where the grid crossed lines.
Step 2: Step Two: Build the Frame
I measured the width of the foam block (approximately 7" wide) and cut two of the plywood strips on the compound mitre saw the same length.
The other two strips were cut the same length as the length of the foam block (approximately 16") PLUS an additional 1 1/2" to account for 3/4" overlap on each side. This extra length is where I drilled two holes and then countersunk them.
I lined up the strips where they attach to each other and pre-drilled into short strips of ply; this is to keep it from splitting when you screw into it later.
Step 3: Step Three - PL300 the Frame
For the third step I spread PL300 foam glue on the frame. I left one length of the pre-drilled plywood strip unattached until the glue was on the frame and the foam block was inserted, then I screwed the last piece on.
Step 4: Step 4: Trim the Frame
At this point in the project you could wash your hands and call it finished. I had some extra scrap trim lying around so I mitred the corners and glued it on. The trim was fairly warped so I used a pin nailer to keep it in place until the glue dried.