Introduction: Simple Shortbread
• 100g Unsalted butter (at room temperature) and extra for tray greasing.
• 50g Golden caster sugar and extra for sprinkling.
• 150g Plain Flour and extra for dusting.
• 1tbsp Semi-Skimmed milk.
• 1tbsp Cocoa powder.
• And any decorations you would like to add, this is optional.
• Wooden spoon
• Baking tray
Step 1: Butter and Sugar
• First of all, preheat your oven to 160C / 325F / Gas 3
• Cut the butter into small cubes and place into a bowl with the sugar.
• Now mix the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth and pale.
Step 2: Dough Making
• Next, slowly add the flour and use your hands to knead the buttery paste with the flour.
• Once the dough is starting to crumble and fall apart, add the milk and carry on kneading until your dough is all together.
Step 3: Rolling the Dough
• Now use the extra flour to dust your rolling surface.
• Next start rolling the dough so it is about 5mm thick.
• Once you have done that you can cut out your shortbread shapes, I have used a cutter but you can cut out squares with a butter knife.
Step 4: Oven Preparation
• Now use the extra butter to cover the baking tray.
• Next you put the shortbread cut outs on the tray, and you must make sure they are evenly spread across the baking tray.
• Once they are evenly spread you can use the coco powder to sprinkle on top of the shortbread moulds.
• You can now put put your tray in the oven on the middle shelf for aprox. 18 mins.
Step 5: Decorations
• Once the shortbread is out of the oven sprinkle the extra sugar all over. Then leave the shortbread for 10-15 mins to cool.
• Once it has cooled you can add your decoration (optional) to your shortbread.
• I would recommend writing icing to do different patterns. e.g. The finishing pictures.
Step 6: Thank You.
• You can now eat your finished shortbread!
I hope you enjoyed this guide to making simple shortbread, Thank You.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.