Introduction: Simple Trash Bin Lid Prop for Easier Filling
Here's a simple way to prop up the hinged lids on your home trash and recycle bins/barrels so you can use both hands when filling them.
Prop Stick - can be metal bar, PVC pipe or a piece of wood.
Nut & bolt orToggle Bolt
Drill or something to punch a hole through the plastic barrel
Optional: Small saw, file or Dremel
1. Depending on the size of your trash bins and lids, eyeball the stick length and mounting placement. It needs to be long enough to hold up the lid and still fit inside the bin. Start with about 24" long.
2. Drill a small mounting hole for the bolt on one side of the bin, a little below the top edge..
3. Push the bolt through the hole from the outside.
4. Push the prop stick on to the bolt.
5. Attach the nut and tighten loose enough so the prop stick moves freely.
6. If desired, file or cut a V notch in the end of the stick to grip the edge of the lid.
Since the prop sticks are short and loosely attached, they don't interfere when the trash truck dumps them. I hope you find this useful!