Step 1: Introduction
I had brought a second hand wardrobe and it left a gap where the chimney breast rose through the house.
I wanted to use this dead space and recycle the old wardrobe
Step 2: Making a Frame
cut some odd bits of square wood (from another diy project) and fixed it together to make a U-shape
I pre-drilled the U-frame and using a thin screwdriver marked the wall and wardrobe for drilling.
I fixed all three sides using 2 1/2" 10s
but you may need longer or smaller depending on your needs.
I wanted to secure the wardrobe to the wall as it was a little creaky along with other repairs.
also I wanted it strong enough that if my children tried to climb up they wouldn't fall down.
fingers crossed they havnt tried yet.
Step 4: Top and Bottom Plates
taking a measurement in s few different places as to take in to account the wall being out.
I left the top and bottom prududing the battens by 4mm on the front side.
I drew this on the wood using my sketches with a metal ruler and used a wood saw to cut the straight cuts and finished with a little sand paper I had lying around. I fixed these in three places with 1 1/2 drywall screws as the head space doesn't crush chip board
Step 5: Front Cover
cut it in a strip the same width as my wood frame batten
you could use a saw or a jigsaw but I personally used a sharp Stanley knife as I wanted a fine cut and didn't mind going over it a few times.
I lightly rubbed the edges with a piece of sand paper.
I checked the strip as this would be held in with friction, I didn't want to over engineer it and felt happy that it hadn't cost me anything.
Step 6: Finished
I havnt found anything to hide yet but always wanted to have somewhere just in case.
I copied it another two times after the original.
I'm applying for the competition so if you liked my 2nd instrucable give me a vote.
questions or constructive criticism is always welcome.
edit: the last picture shows how easy it is to pop it open