I think I should point out that this Instructable has many images showing the process of butchering a rabbit. I think that people who would find this distasteful should consider not going any further.
Before you begin this process you must prepare your area for work. You will need:
- A blade sharpener (I use a simple one)
- Several knives. At least one small knife for precision work, one heavy duty knife for cutting between joints.
- Rubber gloves (makes working on the rabbit much easier, and will prevent you from getting to messy)
- A container for the unwanted parts of the rabbit (I use an old plastic bag, reused from the shopping)
- A container for the parts of the rabbit you want. (I have recently decided that an Esky filled with cold water would be a suitable receptacle)
- A means of suspending the rabbit while you work on it. (I use two large nails that I have nailed into a pallet as hooks).
- Heavy duty scissors or garden shears.